Saturday, August 7, 2010

How to influence Klout

How to influence Klout. A few weeks ago I'm guessing a month or so I discovered a nifty little tool called Klout.com it measures your influence more like measuring the interaction between you and your followers and following and being the little geek who likes a bit of social experiments I put it to the test and guess what it passed and I give it a clean bill of health for being wanker proof i.e. coarse language for saying it's the real thing.

When I first learned of Klout Score I was using Hoot Suite another nifty little social gadget I would recommend, my review on that may be later … so once I got into the site I realized my Klout score was 31 from a scale of 1-100 that's a lot but what bothered me was that it was slightly higher than I expected compared to other tweeps I might have considered influential at the time, so I just had to find out what made Klout tick.
First I registered and read what was there to read about influence matrix and algorithm used, this felt more like when I was researching on Google… Speaking of Google I was shocked by the accuracy of Klout's influential topic list; mine at the start since I’ve refreshed it quite a bit, were:
I’ve stated each with a reason but how they knew me I'm yet to accurately determine.
Here they are:

#Insomnia – I was an insomniac when I first started tweeting so I could guess that topic really pin point my initial tweets and sleeping habits.

Google – I hardly tweet about Google but all the same those few tweets were able to sell me out as a Google power user/addict i.e. my search history calendar is dark green and I have surpassed the 1K search mark for my account in about 6 months. I’m an enthusiastic Googler I guess

#followfriday – yap in the beginning I used this to get lots of followers simply mention a few influential people and the tweet would be Retweeted like @RevRunWisdom quotes (exaggeration I hope you notice) you got to love how people Retweet their FF recommendations.

#ak – ak stands for Access Kenya a local ISP which I can almost swear I’ve tweeted very little about but this shows how much I love Kenyan ISPs… not.

My second experiment was to check whether if I unfollowed tweeps I would get a better Klout score so I did, bye bye Kenyan Celebrities and all those normal people who don’t follow back and most of all those Unfollowers who I have been very patient with. Using another neat tool called justunfollow. Guess what my Klout score dropped nkt. Then it was time to start refollowing this people again talk about going prodigal for the sake of science or just curiosity.

Third experiment was is the influence matrix the same for others. I had to test some few accounts e.g. my fake account for one and surprisingly it’s ranked as an “Observer” surely those geeks knew what they were doing when they wrote those algorithms it seems.

Then some social experiments:
I would tweet something and see who would respond to it having already targeted some followers and guess what my bait got some birds (tweeps) for example I could tweet about an Operating System, Linux, just to see which of any followers would be attracted to the topic and they fell for it hook, line and sinker those were my fellow techie tweeps I was targeting who happened to be web developers and Linux users guess I do have Clout.
Then my play list; I could alter my play list according to the Celebrity influencers of some tweeps especially in the rock category, we rockers love our music and I also tried it on some pop lovers too. Lady Gaga, Good Charlotte sparked some conversations and a Metal Core band also did with the exact tweeps Klout said they were influenced by these artists. I was like wow this is power right here.
What does having Clout on twitter mean well for one Clout influencers are movers I know because I have been influenced by tweets and if Klout can come up with a standard for this influence that’s pretty cool.

Just a side note or disclaimer I’m not a professional in social media this was just a note so don’t fear me I’m not always testing people that’s just wrong. I like trying out new concepts and ideas especially in tech just being me.

1 comment: